Sunday, August 30, 2009

Status update on the MM550 after my visit to the workshop

Some pictures of the work in progress at the wokshop





The radiator after cleaning/ flushing!!!


Report on the Ranger (MM550) after getting it back from the orkshop/ OTR


Received the RANGER in the evening on Friday (14th August) from the workshop.

Work done at the workshop
  • Complete Clutch system including bearings changed/ overhauled
  • Both brake cylinders changed
  • Engine and gearbox mounts changed (I always used to say that my vehicle starts and shuts off with a big jerk or jhatka!!! I guess this was the reason.
  • The rear left brake was leaking. Fixed. Whether this was leaking due to the brake cylinder or something else I wouldn't know
  • Power steering joints on the main rod/ shaft changed
  • Oil change/ oil filter, diesel filter, air filter changed
  • Suspension set (was drooping towards the LHS by 1-1.5")
  • Radiator was dirty, so it was flushed completely (the pictures I uploaded earlier was after the radiator was flushed)
  • Direction of the air intake pipe was changed (SK said that this way water wouldn't go inside the engine in case of water crossing)
  • Earlier the brakes needed to be pumped twice for effective braking. Now they are as the should be
Driving impression
  • The engine sound changed completely for the better. The engine now feels and sounds more free, earlier it used to sound and fell the the engine was working under pressure or as they say "dab ke chal raha tha"
  • Brakes are now perfect.
  • The vehicle did stall a couple of times, but after I got the hang of the new clutch release it worked flawlessly. Maybe I needed some time to get used to the new release mechanism.
  • The clutch now was as good as it can be. No effort required whatsoever and I wouldn't be wrong in saying that as good as my safari or Optra's
  • The power steering was also working great
  • Earlier on pushing the vehicle hard i.e. 'pedal to the metal' the Ranger used to achieve a max speed of 80 km/hr and barely used to touch 85 km/hr now when I was driving in the morning to the OTR venue I managed to touched 90-95 km/hr. I know that this can't be the correct reading and there has to be a speedometer error and also in OTR vehicles high speed is not the main concern. But I am trying to emphasise the fact that there is still an 11% improvement in the preformance of the engine.
During and after OTR impression/ observation/ Pending work
  • Fuel injectors need to be changed
  • Heater plugs weak. Need to be changed
  • The starter motor is giving issue and refuses to crank sometimes. Also I think that the alternator is not in the perfect of condition. the Amp meter shows that its charging all the time. And on my way back from Manesar post OTR the vehicle stalled at the toll gate and the starter got jammed, din't crank just a loud 'click' and nothing. I had to push start it Thinking of getting it serviced from LUCAS!!! Will talk SK, if M&M's markup is high then I will send it to LUCAS directly but if the charges are not much extra I will prefer to leave the vehicle at the workshop and M&M can take care of dismantling the starter and send it to LUCAS on their own. Saves me a lot of headache and running around. (the current status is the vehicle is with SK and he has sent both the starter and alternator to LUCAS)
  • Power steering still not perfect when turning. Again the fluid was leaking from the pump.
  • Lhs door rattle
  • Tyres hitting the body while articulation
  • Oil leaking from the trf case/ Gearbox
  • Oil pressure light on
  • Handbrake lever
  • Windshieldrubber lining
Current status
I sent the vehicle to Sudhir Kashyap(SK) on Tuesday the 18th August. I have taken the decision of getting the alternator and the starter motor serviced from LUCAS and SK with take care of it
We have decided to replace the power steering with a the new steering box from RANE. This I think should solve the issue of the frequent leakage from the pump!!! The p/s is not faulty as the oil only leaks at OTR's otherwise it works perfectly. So its up for grabs!!!

I haven't visited the workshop in two weeks and will go there maybe today evening or tomorrow and update the status.

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment